The Roman army list for DBA during the Macedonian Wars, Punic Wars and Iberian Wars is II/33 Polybian Roman. This looks like a Consular army with two legions and two allied wings (ala). So roughly half of each troop type would be Roman and the other half Latin. This post is part of my series on Troop Identities in DBA Army Lists.
II/33 Polybian Roman
Ag: 1 before 202 BC, then 4
Arable: 1-2 Compulsory (BUA or Road) 2-3 Optional (River, Steep Hills, Gentle Hills, Woods, Road, Waterway)
- 2 x 3Cv (General) [Roman and Latin Cavalry]
- 6 x 4Bd [Roman and Latin Hastati and Pricipes]
- 2 x 4Sp [Roman and Latin Triarii]
- 2 x 2Ps [Roman and Latin Velites]
Personally I don’t like this army list, on historical grounds, so I’ve proposed a Revised Polybian Roman DBA Army List.
This list corresponds to the following Field of Glory army lists:
- Mid-Republican Roman 280-105BC (Rise of Rome)