For convenience I use indented lists for my orders of battle in my Crossfire scenarios. But, inspired by those of Flames of War, I have wondered whether I should move to a prettier format. Okay, not with silhouettes of troops or whatnot, but a bit more graphic. This is what I came up with.
The order or battle for a company looks quite nice:
There are several advantages to the image format:
- Easier to understand as each stand is represented
Here is the equivalent in my usual list style:
- 1 x CC (+1)
- 2 x HMG
- 1 x on-table 50 mm Mortar (12 FM)
- 1 x FO for off-table 81 mm Mortar (12 FM)
- 3 x Rifle Platoons: PC (+1); 3 x Rifle Squads; One with IAT
The list format has advantages:
- Very easy to generate – it is just text
- Very easy to change if I want to tweak the order of battle
- Very short
On balance I’m not sure it is worth changing for my website. For printed work it might be worth the added effort to do the images.
I’m interested to know what other people think.