Split into Poor (basically infantry) and Rich (i.e. cavalry, officers, and generals).
Includes most Hastati/Principes (Blades), Triarii (Spear), Velites/Leves (Psiloi)
Note: foot officers are covered in the section on rich people.
|Tunic|| Base material: White
Generally painting guides suggest Romans wore coloured tunics during the Punic Wars, red being the most likely contender; Head (1982) suggests red for example. However, There is an on-going debate in academic circles about the tunic colour in the Late Roman Empire, and I find the “white” argument more convincing and apply the same logic to the Republic. Dye was expensive making white or off-white far more probable for state issued gear. .
|Hair (their own)||Black or dark brown|
|Body Armour|| Mail: Iron
Plate (square or corslet): Bronze
|Greaves (leg guard)||Bronze|
|Helmet|| Bowl: Bronze
Crest: Two black & one red feather
|Shield|| Face: Red* with no pattern. The wooden spine should also be red.
* Generally painting guides suggest giving Romans shields of various plain colours, possibly varied by unit. All Head (1982) does is cite a light-brown illustration, and a red illustration although the latter is for non-Roman troops armed in Roman style. For better or worse I chose a standard red for my Romans; in hindsight I might do something different now.
|Sword and dagger|| Handle: Ivory or wood
|Javelin, pilum, spear|| Haft: Wood
Shaft + Blade: Steel
|Standard|| Emblem: Silver
|Sandals + straps + belt|| Base material: Leather
|Wolf skin||Wolf – now there’s a thing|
Rich Romans: Foot Officer, Cavalry, Generals, Consul
My Rich figures are:
- Foot officer = guy with rimmed, round shield and cloak (Essex Miniatures).
- Roman Cavalry trooper = guy with sword raised and separate shields (Battle Honours Miniatures)
- Ordinary General = guys with empty hand raised (Essex Miniatures)
- Consul = guy in wrap around cloak (Essex Miniatures from Greek range)
As Roman infantry (above) except
|Tunic||Base material: Red|
|Cloak||Base material: Red (Purple for Consul)|
|Helmet||Crest: Red, black, or white; or alternate these colours|
|Shield|| Face: Red with no pattern.
|Body armour||Pteruges (leather strips from arms and waist; if worn): White (?)|