Andrew Coleby and I had a go at Big Base DBA. Andrew took Carthaginians and I took Polybian Roman. Andrew won – those pesky Gauls cut through my Legionnaires (again). Aside from being a good game it also proved the concept of Big Base DBA, i.e. big bases with lots of figures, big table, but using standard DBA.
This was a trial of the Big Base DBA concept. Rather than rebasing I thought I’d give it a go with four existing bases on top 80mm x 40mm sabots. I think the table was 4′ x 3′, so smaller than you’d expected if you scaled up from a 2′ x 2′ table. All part of the attempt to fit within the bounds of my living room but still get sense of massed armies.
Unfortunately I was a bit focussed on the game so only took a few shots.
Andrew was the defender and placed a major water feature. He had elephants and light horse on that flank. His spear were in the centre between two bits of bad going. Cavalry and his camp covered his right flank. Most significantly, he had his two stands of Gallic warband between the elephants and spearmen, lined up with one of the bits of rough going.
My Triarii were on the flank of the river. I had Legionnaires and cavalry covering the rough ground where the Gauls were going to come through. More Blades faced the spears. On my left flank I had cavalry and psiloi facing the equivalent in Andrew’s army.
For some reason, now forgotten, I took a shot of the rather uninteresting left flank.
All the action took place on my right. Having deployed badly I spent pips redeploying. Andrew just advanced, hit my line, and blew it away. His elephants killed a Triarii, his Gauls got the other Triarii and a Hastati+Principes stand. He then got on the flank of the centre legions and game over.
Overall it was good solid play by Andrew. On my side of the table my pretty rubbish deployment was severely punished.